We usually refer to testosterone as a steroid, but in reality, it is a hormone produced by the human body. However, hormone steroids are not the only steroids that exist; there is another type, anabolic steroids. The primary purpose of using them is to build lean mass faster, cut fat, and endurance improvement. Usage of anabolic steroids is a pretty common thing in professional sports, bodybuilding scene, and fat loss scene. While they are considered essential for people who want to compete at the top levels, they are not enough alone. That’s why, in this article, we are going to take a look through what are the best foods to eat while taking steroids.
Athletes and bodybuilders need to combine the use of steroids, with a workout regimen designed specifically for them. In addition, another vital aspect of growing lean muscle and improving performance is your diet. When using steroids, you need to be careful with your diet; you need to avoid particular food and focus on some others that help steroids work better.
Best Foods For Steroid Use
As you probably have heard, although beneficial for competition, anabolic steroids come with a couple of potentially dangerous side effects, like:
- Weight gain
- Mental instability
And potentially :
- Anabolic steroid-induced hypogonadism, this is a state where the testicles are not able to function correctly, thus producing lower than normal levels for both testosterone and sperm.
- Hepatotoxicity, this means that the liver’s damages were chemically induced and that can be a cause for chronic liver disease in some cases.
In order to counter the side effects of anabolic steroids, you can implement certain few foods which at the same time allow the steroids to have more of an impact in regards to the improvements you make.
Anabolic steroid usage is made in cycles, and these cycles go on for weeks. You need a properly planned diet to minimize the risk of weight gain, excessive fluid retention, and hormonal imbalances. However, bear in mind that nutrition by itself might not be adequate in some cases to prevent the side effects of steroid usage, but it can be great for damage reduction and health improvement.
A diet that consists of food chosen specifically for steroid users to help them with the potential side effects is called a Steroid Diet. A Steroid Diet mainly includes:
- Protein-rich food
- Whole grains
- Green vegetables
- Liver friendly foods
Best Foods For Steroid Use – Protein Rich Food
Protein is not only for people who do bodybuilding; that is a common misconception. Protein is as necessary for the sedentary nine-to-five fellows, those who are looking to lose a few pounds and those who want to defy age and look younger. In addition, protein also repairs cells damaged due to pollution, free radicals, and diseases like diabetes and heart conditions.
Most of us eat less than 50% of the required protein intake daily. For the average adult, the recommended daily protein intake is 1 gram per kilogram of bodyweight. However, for an adult who aims for muscle growth, or in this case, an adult who is using anabolic steroids to bring his performance and muscle growth to their limits, the protein intake should be higher than average.
The primary function of anabolic steroids is the increased rate of protein production by the human body. After the muscles absorb the proteins, they aid in their growth and repair along with carbohydrates and nutrients. Since anabolic steroids accelerate muscle growth and repair, eating enough protein food is vital in order to avoid injury.
Foods that are high in protein and promote lean muscle growth include:
- Seafood. – Rich in vitamins A, B, and D and also omega-3 acids. Omega 3 acids are responsible for inflammation reduction. Seafood is also claimed to potentially decrease the chances of heart disease.
- Lean meat. – Although red meat is also quite protein-rich, it is to be avoided, the reason for that is liver protection, the same thing also applies for processed meat. In addition, processed meat can decrease HDL levels while at the same time increases bad cholesterol
- Eggs. – Rich in vitamins B2, B6, B12, D, and E, among others. Although cheap, eggs provide protein of high quality. HDL, which is commonly known as the good cholesterol, is increased as a result of egg consumption.
- Cottage cheese and low-fat dairy. – Because they contain calcium in addition to vitamin D, A, B12, and magnesium. Another benefit is improved bone health.
Whole Grain Food
Another aspect of steroids’ effect is the improvement of endurance; you will be able to work out at your maximum output for longer. This sudden endurance increase will induce amounts of stress to both the CNS (central nervous system) and the body, and while you might not feel that stress right way, it’s going to come out sooner or later.
Thus, to keep going, the muscles need to repair themselves after a workout, and the body needs to have energy stored to start the next one. The primary source of energy for the human body is carbohydrates.
When a body is reaching is its limits through a daily workout under the influence of steroids it depletes the energy it has in storage, for that reason your diet needs to be high-carb among other things . Unless of course you don’t want your muscles to have a fast recovery, but then you wouldn’t use steroids in the first place.
Although before listing what foods are rich in carbohydrates and are recommended for a steroid diet, there are are a few things to be explained. Carbohydrates come in two types, complex and simple. Simple carbohydrates are found in any food that is sweet, which means it contains sugar. High sugar intake should be avoided at any cost; sugar’s harmful effects for health are known to humanity for quite some time now. Complex carbohydrates should be preferred over the simple ones every time, among them, are:
- Brown rice and wheat
These complex carbohydrates are full of fiber, and this means that they are absorbed slowly in the stomach, providing energy steadily while keeping you full for longer. Furthermore, research has shown that they are responsible for lowering harmful cholesterol levels.
This addition is a classic; you have seen this everywhere. Celebrities promote them; models promote them, professional bodybuilders and food experts promote them; this means everyone in the sports, diet, and health industry. The food we are talking about here is green vegetables, and there is a reason for this, of course.
Green vegetables are low in calories and are consisted of water mostly; for this reason, you are allowed to eat almost unlimited amounts of them without need for worry. Since green vegetables are high in fiber, they can give your stomach the filling that it is full. Green veggies are ideal for people who use steroids because they will not make you gain fat, meaning there is only room for your muscles to grow. A couple of examples of such vegetables are :
- Kale. – Rich in calcium to improve bone and teeth health.
- Spinach. – It contains beta-carotene, which in turn helps to grow and repair damaged body tissue.
- Iceberg Lettuce
Liver Friendly Food
As it was mentioned above earlier in this article, a potentially dangerous side effect of steroids is liver injuries. The chances for the liver to be injured by steroid usage depend on the size of the doses and duration of use. With that in mind, it is only natural to consider adding food to your diet that protects your liver and makes it healthier. Foods with hepatoprotective (good for the liver) include:
- Cranberries and Blueberries
Foods To Avoid While Taking Steroids
Some common foods can lower your testosterone levels which are incredibly important to avoid for a variety of reasons such as:
- Sex drive
- Muscle mass our strength
- Bone density
- Fat storage regulation
- Improved blood quality
- Sperm health
For the most part, you can see how testosterone is vital for your health, trying to improve your overall health, but also because you see the effects it can have on your gains in lean muscle mass, and this is extra important when you are taking steroids. You don’t want to be consuming food that counters the positive effects of steroids under any circumstances. Such foods that you should avoid as much as possible are:
- Soy: – Soy is commonly stuffed into a lot of foods that you might not even think of. It is often found in a lot of processed foods which by now you should know to avoid as much as possible. Soy has a lot of isoflavones that can act like estrogen in the body by stimulating the estrogen receptors and doing the opposite to the androgen receptors, which are the ones that are going to increase testosterone.
- Trans fats: – These fats were essentially created in the lab because people became afraid of saturated fats. We find trans fats in much fast food, restaurants, donuts, alternative butter spreads, and desserts. Trans fats are terrible when it comes to the overall body. The inflammation and the swelling caused by them can have a variety of blood and heart complications.
- Alcohol: – Although technically not food, alcohol is one of those sketchy areas when it comes to health. Obviously, it is going to depend on how much you drink at any given time and also how frequently you drink. Generally, scientists correlate alcohol to lower levels of the test; however, smaller amounts can increase testosterone levels.
Where is the medium, and how do you enjoy yourself while keeping your precious testosterone at the same time?
Simple, keep alcohol intake in moderation. Never get drunk; just enjoy a drink or two, and you will be fine.
Generally, you should be already informed about and in control of your diet before even considering taking anabolic steroids. A proper diet is vital not only for muscle growth but for your overall health and should keep tabs on it throughout your whole life. In the case of steroids, you must be extra careful about what to consume; you don’t want any extra risk.
Some general tips and healthier options that work every time about food involve baking and boiling instead of frying, avoid processed food, avoid alcohol, avoid sugar and eat a lot of vegetables, especially the green ones. If you do all of the above, you lower the risk significantly.